Fil Mjolk from cow to goat?

Yogurt, Kefir, Clabbered Milk, Cheese, Whey, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Fil Mjolk from cow to goat?

Postby WWFSM on Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:12 am

I'm absolutely loving this Fil Mjolk culture. https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/20790710/fil-mjolk-yogurt-starter-culture-organic?ref=shop_home_active

I've made yoghurt (which may or may not technically be yoghurt, but the taste and the texture is the same), yoghurt cheese from leaving the culture out too long and letting it separate, yoghurt cheese from heating the yoghurt till it separates, cultured butter, bread from the whey and buttermilk pancakes from the milk left over from making the cultured butter. Today I'm going to try making cheese from the milk leftover from making the cultured butter and some sourdough bread from the whey leftover from this cheese making.

This is one of the most versatile cultures I've tried, but more importantly it sets at room temperature and it's not fussy about timing. I can leave it an hour or 6 longer, and it will be there waiting for me.

The only problem is that it won't set in goats milk. Is there any way I can train my Fil Mjolk culture to love goat milk?

Instead of setting in goats milk, it just slowly clobbers, so after 3 to 5 days, I have curds and whey which can be strained to make a rather tasty cheese. But no yoghurt like texture. Attempts to use the goat milk fil mjolk to culture cows milk is slow and takes several culturing to get it back to normal. Thank goodness I always keep a backup.

So what do you think? Is there some way I can teach my culture to like goats milk?
Doing my best to be the change I want to see in the world, one meal at a time.
http://wholewheatfsm.blogspot.ca

Currently Culturing
Kombucha, perry, cider, wine (red and white), mead(s), miso, sourdough, & seasonal veg my garden gives me
WWFSM

Return to Dairy Ferments