Chinese Fermented Black Beans

Miso, tamari, tempeh, idli/dosa, natto, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Re: Chinese Fermented Black Beans

Postby Aliyanna on Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:20 pm

Isn't that Aspergillus culture the one we use to make miso or koji...couldn't you just buy some of that and try??? Gem cultures has
a commercial pack that allows a lot of making and that might work more for less money.

A
Aliyanna

Postby nighatwasim88 on Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:14 am

meeshy wrote:There is a recipe in Nourishing Traditions for fermented bean paste which is very good. I have done with kidney beans successfully.

wow thats great how much time its need.
nighatwasim88

Postby bjdmytro on Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:16 am

I've been wanting to make Douchi, fermented black soybeans, for a while.
I've purchased the Aspergillus oryzae from GEM cultures. I intend on making this at some point, and I plan on using their Hatcho koji starter. I also plan on using organic black soybeans (I found them on amazon). I would turn the whole lot of them into fermented black beans. I'm just trying to figure out the amount and concentration of the brine. I'll probably make a brine that is about 15-20% salt and pour it over the moldy beans till they are just covered. I would then let that cure for about 6 months, in my cellar. Then I can make black bean sauce and hoisin sauce from scratch.
I also intend on using the same culture to make Douban. With Douchi and Douban on hand, I can finally make Mapo Tofu!

Does anyone have a better suggestion for curing the beans?
bjdmytro

Postby cerbu on Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:42 pm

I will brine some tempeh - think Rhizopus instead of Aspergillus. Will it be safe?
cerbu

Previous

Return to Legume Ferments