My first miso

Miso, tamari, tempeh, idli/dosa, natto, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

My first miso

Postby Christopher Weeks on Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:49 am

I did finally get around to setting up my first crock of miso to ferment. it's about 2/3 of a gallon made with just soybeans and commercial rice koji. I believe it's a high-salt "red" miso, so I'll leave it for 1-3 years.

You can see a series of pictures with captions on my G+ at https://plus.google.com/u/0/11718457573 ... 9xs7FGT8x6

I hope it works out. I boiled the soybeans in my pressure cooker in thirds. The first third, after an hour in the cooker was mushy. The second third, after half an hour in the cooker was a little soft. The final third, after ten minutes in the cooker was slightly softened, clearly still cohesive, but didn't have the nice raw-sprout flavor that they had after soaking. So you can see in some of those images that there's quite a mixture of textures -- I hope that works out OK.

I anticipate my next batch being mixed lentils (due to ease) and then my third crock being my first attempt at a quick, sweet miso based on my taco miso idea.
Christopher Weeks
Nuka Ninja

Re: My first miso

Postby WWFSM on Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:15 pm

Thanks for sharing. It looks good.

For the lentils, do you think a short term ferment so you can try it sooner? I'm keen to put up a lentil and brown rice miso this winter. Bought a new crock for it and everything. Maybe a five month miso, which will be about when I run out of miso in the fridge.

I was wondering for your taco miso, The Book of Miso by Shurtleff and Aoyagi has a few paragraphs on the korean spicy fermented soy paste - like miso, but they ferment the miso a bit, then add the spice, then ferment some more. Something on that theme may work better for the taco miso as I wonder if the spicy might hurt the invisible beasties needed to get the miso started. Make the miso, then after a month, add the spicy into the miso vat, then ferment the rest of the time. Just a crazy idea I had, but thought I would tell you just incase it helped.

Anyway, well done with the miso. Let us know how it goes. I'm eager to learn how the different cooking textures effect the final paste.
Doing my best to be the change I want to see in the world, one meal at a time.
http://wholewheatfsm.blogspot.ca

Currently Culturing
Kombucha, perry, cider, wine (red and white), mead(s), miso, sourdough, & seasonal veg my garden gives me
WWFSM

Postby Christopher Weeks on Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:23 pm

I have three 500g packages of koji remaining which is enough for another longer miso and one short miso, but not enough for two short misos unless I make substantially less. So I need to make one of them longer term. I could switch it around and make the taco miso long and the lentils short. That might make sense given how delicate lentils are. I'll think on it.
Christopher Weeks
Nuka Ninja

Postby WWFSM on Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:55 pm

Sounds tasty.

By the way, which recipe did you use?
Doing my best to be the change I want to see in the world, one meal at a time.
http://wholewheatfsm.blogspot.ca

Currently Culturing
Kombucha, perry, cider, wine (red and white), mead(s), miso, sourdough, & seasonal veg my garden gives me
WWFSM

Return to Legume Ferments