Weird variants of miso (Japanese?)

Miso, tamari, tempeh, idli/dosa, natto, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Weird variants of miso (Japanese?)

Postby Pearl_Sutton on Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:47 pm

I was looking up ideas I had for misos (ginger and turmeric viewtopic.php?f=4&t=20785 ) and I hit one line someplace (can't find the link) that said ~ "Japanese misos have many regional variations." I got all excited :o OOOH!! What variations??

I saw a list on wikipedia of different base misos (darks and lights etc) but are there different totally variants? Spices or vegetables fermented in when it's made to change flavor? My mental image here is if I'm baking bread, normal is wheat, normal variants are all the other grains, totally different is things like adding beans, onions, herbs, leftover mashed potatoes etc.

It's really common when a recipe crosses into another culture only the "most average" type moves, not the variants. Example is hummus, there are millions of variants, all you ever hear of is garbanzo and tahini with garlic and lemon or lime. I use every bean out there and every herb and spice I have in mine. I suspect the same thing has happened with miso, would just love some feedback before I use up 10.00 worth of koji and a year to say "well, that didn't work."

Would LOVE to see weird variants, either Japanese or things people have tried that did or did not work.
Running amok with permaculture and fermentation!!
Pearl_Sutton

Re: Weird variants of miso (Japanese?)

Postby Christopher Weeks on Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:08 am

Have you read The Book of Miso?

https://books.google.com/books?id=SKqJsiZ49HkC
Christopher Weeks
Nuka Ninja

Re: Weird variants of miso (Japanese?)

Postby cerbu on Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:19 am

I know this is an old post, have you found tips? There sure are many varieties of miso and other legume ferments , sort of hamma-natto for example I will try with pinto beans
Attachments
hama-natto.jpg
hama-natto.jpg (55.36 KiB) Viewed 3392 times
cerbu

Return to Legume Ferments