How to know if it is safe to eat?

Miso, tamari, tempeh, idli/dosa, natto, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

How to know if it is safe to eat?

Postby realpolaris on Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:11 pm

This is my first time making natto, I was unable to find any ready made so I have never seen it either. I also made with adzuki beans instead of soy due to allergies.
The steps I followed were
Soaked beans for 24hrs
Pressure cooker for 60 mins in instapot
Cooled them to 100f
Added natto bacteria I got online
Left in instapot for 18hrs on yogurt setting. Checking every few hours the temp which stayed between 98-103f.
It looked nothing like natto and I saw no webs when mixing, and had white patches on it. I think the beans were over cooked.
Any suggestions on the pic if this is eidable?
Attachments
2018-02-27 22.07.14.jpg
First adzuki natto batch
2018-02-27 22.07.14.jpg (223.7 KiB) Viewed 2437 times
realpolaris

Re: How to know if it is safe to eat?

Postby realpolaris on Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:20 pm

Sorry forgot to mention that I added 4gr of natto starter ( Bacillus subtilis).

Thanks again for any advice with adzuki beans, I hate another 8gr of starter left.
realpolaris

Postby bjdmytro on Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:32 pm

At a glance, I'd say you over cooked the beans. The 1 hour pressure cook time is for soybeans, but adzuki take a lot less time to cook. For comparison, soybeans take about 6 hours of boiling to get soft, but adzukis get soft after about 40 minutes of boiling. In fact, you can probably get away without pressure cooking them. They could be steamed with no pressure after soaking.

As far as the safety of this, I don't know. When I'm in doubt, I usually throw it out. Once, I stubbornly refused to toss an experimental batch of tempeh that seemed off. Hours after eating it, I had salmonella poisoning, and it took me about 24 hours to recover.
bjdmytro

Postby Durand on Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:00 pm

The adzuki beans are indeed overcooked. The beans should remain intact. Bacillus grows on the surface and needs oxygen. There is no oxygen in a pulpy mass.
Durand

Return to Legume Ferments