Tempeh of Adzuki beans

Miso, tamari, tempeh, idli/dosa, natto, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Tempeh of Adzuki beans

Postby salto on Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:53 am

I try to make tempeh from adzuki beans, but I am wondering how to hull the beans. They are very tiny so might crush easily when I use a potato masher or a rolling pin. Does any of you have experience with adzuki tempeh? And can I leave (some of) the hulls in (for the colour) or is that counterproductive?
Thank you for your attention.
salto

Re: Tempeh of Adzuki beans

Postby cerbu on Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:03 pm

you do not have to hull them at all , use this recipe https://www.tempeh.info/maketempeh/blac ... tempeh.php
If you pressure steam half the beans instead of boiling might be better
cerbu

Postby salto on Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:58 am

Thank you! Going to try that one, will report back.
salto

Postby salto on Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:15 pm

Not happy with the result. After pressure steaming and 48 hrs in plastic bags with holes in the proofer at 30 Celsius, the fermentation seemed to stop. The white mould did not increase any further and it smelled a bit alcoholic, very funny. The tempeh is solid, but parts of the outside do not have the white fermentation layer. The tempeh is dry, the taste is a bit sour, a bit like apple, but not a nice one.
Attached a picture of half a tempeh cake after 30 seconds in boiling water before freezing. Any suggestions for improvement are most welcome! Thank you.
Attachments
DSC07548 (Middel).jpeg
DSC07548 (Middel).jpeg (237.15 KiB) Viewed 5091 times
salto

Postby cerbu on Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:16 am

I observed that about half the beans should be boiled(with lactic acid as they say or soaked before, till they become naturally sour) to have enough moisture, if part are steamed use the vinegar just before the spores to discourage the natural bacteria on the skins. Try different ways and adjust ,hope you get better results.
cerbu

Postby salto on Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:42 pm

Thank you Cerbu, I will try again and this time soak the beans with vinegar/lactic acid before cooking/steaming. Will report back, maybe someone else is struggling with the same issue.
salto

Postby salto on Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:08 pm

I guess I found the right procedure to create adzuki bean tempeh.
Below my routine in case anyone else experienced problems.
The ratio of ingredients I used is
600 gram beans
5 tbsp vinegar
1 teaspoon starter
Adzukibeans are very hard so give them ample time (minimal 24 hours) to soak. Remove loose hulls, wash the beans, take out a handfull and crush in the foodprocessor[1] I find that even after 24 hours the beans are still too hard to crush manually. Put the crushed beans back and cook the whole batch for about 20-25 minutes. You can add a bit of salt, it lifts the taste. Be careful, the beans cook amazingly fast. Too soft they create messy tempeh. Shortly before you finish the cooking, add the vinegar and leave in about one minute [2], then drain the beans. Let cool down a bit, then dry thoroughly. In my experience this is a very important part of the routine. Adzuki beans seem to hate moistness in the fermentation process, different from for example black beans. I put them in the oven with hot air circulation on about 20 C for an hour, manually tossing every once in a while. When beans are dry, put in the starter, stir thoroughly, etc. normal procedure.
Good luck!

[1] Don't know if this is science or superstition but I think the crushed beans further the cohesion in the fermention process.
[2] Same, science or superstition, in my experience adding the vinegar after draining might give a sour smelling result.
salto

Return to Legume Ferments