Oil in Sauerkraut

Kimchi, pickles, sauerkraut, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Oil in Sauerkraut

Postby TomChimeraLove on Fri May 24, 2019 2:58 pm

Hi,
I was just making sauerkraut with ton of spices the way I like, and decided spontaneously to add a bit of high quality olive oil to it.

So I searched google about oil in ferments, and reached this article about the dangers of Botulism.
I got scared and think I will trash this batch and just make a new one :D :shock: :D
http://www.intentionallydomestic.com/is-topping-a-ferment-with-oil-an-acceptable-replacmeent-for-an-anaerobic-environment/

I know that some people top their ferments with oil but I don't do it.

It makes me wonder, because I wanted to try adding other oil-based stuff like Tahini, Peanut Butter and other Nut butters to experiment together with the vegetables, but now I think it might be a problem, as the oil content might change the pH to give life to the bad bacteria.

what do you think?

Thank you ♡

Tom
TomChimeraLove

Re: Oil in Sauerkraut

Postby irie1029 on Tue May 28, 2019 6:36 am

Good question and I certainly do not have the answer. But, I add oil after fermenting to my giardiniera and keep refrigerated which has never had an issue.
irie1029

Postby Christopher Weeks on Wed May 29, 2019 7:30 am

I'd like to know this too. It seems like the botulism caused by oil in ferments warnings started up about two years ago (or maybe that's just when I clued into them). I'd never done anything with oil, so it didn't affect me. But last year, I followed instructions for fermenting chiles in oil and now I'm afraid to try it. :-)
Christopher Weeks
Nuka Ninja

Postby TomChimeraLove on Thu May 30, 2019 2:07 pm

I hope we all could learn the answer as it opens up many flavor possibilities

I also continued this thread with more questions
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3654
TomChimeraLove

Return to Vegetable Ferments