Airlock Lids - Do I Still Need a Weight?

Kimchi, pickles, sauerkraut, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Airlock Lids - Do I Still Need a Weight?

Postby wwwKris on Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:07 am

New to fermenting and just did my first batch of vegetables - loving it so far!

I used a makeshift weight to keep the vegetables below the water line when I did my first batch but I'm thinking of getting some airlock lids for my next batch.

Do I still need to use a weight to keep the vegetables below the water line with airlock lids or is the lid sufficient in terms of an air barrier?
wwwKris

Re: Airlock Lids - Do I Still Need a Weight?

Postby irie1029 on Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:44 am

I only use an airlock when making cider. Our ancestors never used one for fermenting and did just fine. I have bought plastic ball lids (no corrosion) which I screw on a tad less than tight so CO2 escapes.

I bought these (see link below) for the more problematic veggies (peppers, beet stems, etc) Oh she also custom made me one for my 5 gal crock.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/480053428/ ... ef=reviews

Enjoy the fun of fermenting!
irie1029

Postby curtijam on Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:44 am

Wow, those clay weights look great! They even look like party rings... win win! :lol:
curtijam

Postby Christopher Weeks on Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:28 pm

You need it less, but general consensus is that weighting the vegetables is crucial and airlocks are optional.
Christopher Weeks
Nuka Ninja

Postby wwwKris on Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:00 am

Thanks for the replies everyone - fantastic to find such a great community supporting fermenters! Based one the replies, I'll go the safe route and continue to use weights even if I decide to get airlocks.

irie1029: Thanks for the suggestion of the ball lids - I'll check those out. And the clay weights look very nice indeed ... much better than the glass candle holders I've been using as a stop-gap. :-)
wwwKris

Return to Vegetable Ferments