Slimy Sour Beets

Kimchi, pickles, sauerkraut, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Re: Slimy Sour Beets

Postby hemul on Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:30 pm

Thank you very much! I'll try your recipe next time.

BTW doesn't email notification work here? I ticked the box but I haven't gotten any emails.
Fetbobba
hemul

Postby bootsbrew on Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:43 am

I just fermented beets too, with whey as per Sally Fallon recipe. Didn't use a mandolin or grater, just sliced them. I am quite surprized by the slime and rather put off. I have fermented lots of yoghurt and saurkraut before successfully every time. So am confused. I fermented garlic and carrots and cucumber also they have been on counter for 4 days and are not sour enough for me, I like my saurkraut at 14 days.

Anyone got any further comments on the beets? I loved pickled beets so wanted a healthier version, ie. fermented beets. Please help.
bootsbrew

Postby Davos on Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:48 pm

Thank you for that information, Tim -- that the viscous brine is still OK to eat.

I was hoping for a twofer with my first batch of raw pickled beets -- kvass I could drink and sour beets to add to salads. The beets (1/4-inch dice) are still nice and crunchy but not really sour or even that salty. And the brine turned out very thick and stringy -- like flax seeds soaked in water.

But the beets are edible, and I'm sure the brine is full of nutrients and shouldn't be thrown out. It might make a nice base for a salad dressing blended up with some lemon juice and olive oil.
Davos

Postby Pikachu on Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:55 am

Hi,
I'm new to this and my grated beets are 3 day old. Just developed a white mold on top but I scooped it off, tasted, smelled ok so far but no bubbling so I'll see what's gonna happen from now on.

Regarding slimy stuff, doesn't fermenting supposed to be slimy?
For example, tempe or natto are slimy.
Look at these video, they look slimy to me. It has all kinds of things in it. Pumpkin (skin on & seeds), mushroom, carrots, apple etc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oumb2Rl37QU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xb9gcvq4XD8
Pikachu

Postby Pikachu on Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:46 pm

5 days on, my grated beets finally started to produce bubbles Yippeee! Perhaps it's due to having a slightly warmer day for a change. Smells ok, not pongy but just earthy. A kind of powerdery film on top but perhpas these are good film since it hasn't grown into fluffy molds.

Even in Miso making, some Japanese would mix these white stuff back in Miso so I'm not panicking...just wait and see if I get ill O-o

Edit: So it looks as though the white film is ok
http://herbangardener.com/2011/05/21/ho ... eet-kvass/
Pikachu

Postby Pikachu on Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:11 pm

I've skimmed off another white film before I go to bed. I just didn't wanted to wake up with thick layer in the morning. This is becoming like my pet. I can't leave it alone.

Just tasted a little. Although I thought it was quite salty to start off with, it is now beginning to taste less saltier to the point that I think I should have put more salt in! Nonetheless, it is kind of still fresh beets with hint of sweetness, sourness (developing!) and saltyness. Not slimy though, thank goodness. More bubbles appearing. I hope my first batch is a winner :)
Pikachu

Postby creinosoh on Sun May 20, 2018 6:58 am

Hello!
I faced the same and I found an explanation on the following blog. It makes sense to me. Basically it says that mucilaginous (the slimy texture) can be produced by Lactobacillus brevis which is found in many fermented foods.

http://www.picklemetoo.com/2013/11/12/thick-brine/

Cheers
Claudia
creinosoh

Previous

Return to Vegetable Ferments