Preserved Lemons/Limes - Salt by weight

Kimchi, pickles, sauerkraut, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Preserved Lemons/Limes - Salt by weight

Postby Vsoued on Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:47 pm

I have a surplus of limes and wanted to try salt preserving them. I don't know if it can be called fermenting them because they're so acidic, and the recipes I've seen ask for lots of salt. I went through a lot of recipes but couldn't find an accurate guide as of how much salt, as I like to weight it. I saw recipes that call for 8 lemons or limes and from 1/4 cup of salt to 1/2 cup of salt, some called for fine salt, some for coarse, but none that I found asked for an actual weight of lemons or limes or an amount of salt by weight. Anyone have a reference point of percentage of salt by weight?

I ended up putting 18 limes in a half gallon jar with about 190 grams of salt, which is quite a lot based on how much salt I use for everything else. I think thats near 10% of total weight of limes+added lemon juice+water.

Also, does anyone have any insight on the difference between submerging the lemons or limes in pure juice vs adding any amount of water to submerge them?

Just now that I checked on them I saw that the cut edges where I cut each lime most of the way into quarters has turned brown. Is this supposed to happen? Can it be prevented somehow?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can offer any help!
Vsoued

Return to Vegetable Ferments