Preserving mushrooms

Kimchi, pickles, sauerkraut, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Preserving mushrooms

Postby tmaynard on Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:46 pm

Hello,

I'd like to add some mushrooms to my next batch of kraut (cabbage, carrots, shallots, mushrooms -- in order by weight). I'm wondering if any of you have experience with lactic acid fermented mushrooms?

My copy of Annelies Schoeneck's "Making Sauerkraut and pickled vegetables at home" has a recipe, but I'm wondering if anyone has tried it? Since I'm only considering mushrooms as an "add-in" rather than the main ingredient, I was wondering if a typical 6-8 week fermentation would turn them to "mush" or not.

And, which (storebought) mushroom is best? The only readily available options are button and cremini ... although I've seen chantarelles and others (at exhorbitant prices) on the grocery shelves as well.

Suggestions? Recommendations?

TIA,
Tom.
tmaynard

Re: Preserving mushrooms

Postby fermented-vegan on Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:48 pm

Hello Tom, :)

Since no one else has chimed in with experience regarding fermenting mushrooms, I'll speak my own thoughts that are unfortunately not based on any experience.

Why not just try it?

I wouldn't suspect they would fall apart after fermenting for so long. But even if they did, they would surely add an interesting flavor component to the sauerkraut.

Another way to go about it is to ferment a small test batch, so there is not much waste if it doesn't come out palatable.

I'm partial to cremini mushrooms myself. So I'd go with that if it were my choice. Use whatever mushrooms you like the flavor of.

That's my 2 cents.

Peace & Love from a vegan :)
fermented-vegan

Postby tmaynard on Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:34 pm

My source was Annelies Schoenick's "Making Sauerkraut and pickled vegetables at home" ... where she says to boil the mushrooms for "a few minutes" before pickling. I decided on 5 minutes -- mostly to hydrate the mushrooms ahead of time ... and then allow the fermentation process to exchange the hydration water with "pickle juice".

The mushrooms shrank significantly (a 50/50 mix of white button and cremini). I halved them (mostly -- tiny mushrooms went in whole). The mushrooms were only a 1# component of cabbage (9#), shallots (1#), carrots (1#) ... I'm sure it'll all come out okay -- maybe a little "squeaky" on the mushrooms -- not a problem.

I'll be sure to post my results here.

Thanks for your input.
Tom.
tmaynard

Postby Lycoperdon on Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:04 pm

My mushroom ID book has a recipe:

Every summer the Russian and Siberian taiga teems with "crock hunter" gathering mushrooms for salting. Milk caps (Lactarius) treated in the following way are especially favored because of their crunchiness.

Clean the milk caps, check for maggots, and trim off the stem or at least the bases so that the caps can lie flat. Layer the caps in a crock or wide jar with the gills facing up, and sprinkle each layer with rock salt (1 1/2 T. salt per pound of mushrooms) You can also sprinkle every other layer with an herb mixture (black currant leave are traditional, but a little dill, black pepper, and caraway seeds can be used) or with chopped, cooked onion or garlic (2 cloves per pound). Place a round wooden board or plate on top of the mushrooms and weight it down with a stone or jar of water (tightly closed), then refrigerate or store in a cool place. The mushrooms will gradually release their own liquid; excess juice can be poured off and new layers of mushrooms added as they are gathered. Mild milk caps such as L. deliciosus and L. rubrilacteus can be eated after only three days. The peppery ones such as L. torminosus and L. resumus must stand for 45 days. If the finished product is too salty for your taste, you can wash the salted mushrooms before eating them.
-Lord Lycoperdon
http://www.sfwiggle.com/
Lycoperdon

Postby Odddlycrunchy on Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:05 pm

Hi tmaynard,

How did your ferments with mushrooms turn out?

Odddlycrunchy
Odddlycrunchy

Postby taborda on Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:05 pm

This was the only post i could find about fermenting mushrooms... i just discover a huge amount of chanterelles on a forest just next to my house... i'm drying some (but i found several sources on internet saying they loose taste) and decided also to try fermenting them...

my recipe was 700gr of clean chanterelles + 2 tablespoons salt + garlic and chilli and a jar of water pressing them , i imagine i will add more on the same jar on the next days...

an hour later it's already less than a third of mushroom volume and tasting great... will update how it goes... they seem to have the perfect texture for fermenting....
taborda

Postby Christopher Weeks on Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:18 am

We talked a little bit about it here.
Christopher Weeks
Nuka Ninja

Postby Ido on Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:10 pm

I use t dunk them in existing ferments, like a quick-ferm, add brine, just few days, they don't get mash and hardly any weight. it comes out so good it's insane... :)
Ido

Return to Vegetable Ferments