Any interest in authentic Kimchi recipes?

Kimchi, pickles, sauerkraut, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Any interest in authentic Kimchi recipes?

Postby Spazmotic on Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:36 am

My wife is korean.. we often spend time in Korea and have combined and accumulated various recipes from our 아줌마 mothers and grandmothers and the internet to make delicious clean kimchi. In Korea, kimchi should be clean. After the fermentation is done the saltiness should be transparent through the bite and with a nice cold and not overpowering taste. It's a super judgemental craft from others around, and messing it up is a pain due to the work involved. We usually dont really measure a lot of things, but if there's interest.. I plan to make another batch soon and can write down a bit better what we do.
Spazmotic

Re: Any interest in authentic Kimchi recipes?

Postby Christopher Weeks on Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:50 am

Yes, absolutely!

Can you explain how you're using the word "clean" here?
Christopher Weeks
Nuka Ninja

Re: Any interest in authentic Kimchi recipes?

Postby Spazmotic on Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:11 am

Awesome. I will make a small batch tomorrow and edit my post with a blog link or such. For the clean taste, it's a bit hard to describe. There's so many kinds of kimchi but the one thing that really defines a good kimchi in any of them is that that cleanliness.. by that I mean a tart fermentation accompanying the still crisp vegetable ( while eaten alone, longer, squishy ferments are great in dishes). This crisp tartness has only the nice flavor of the slightly salty vegetable and 양몀.. sauce.. behind it, acting as a supporting character. Clean. Simple. I'll post more about it when I write down the recipe and get my thoughts together on what I mean.
Spazmotic

Return to Vegetable Ferments