dirty cabbage

Kimchi, pickles, sauerkraut, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

dirty cabbage

Postby alise on Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:19 pm

I bought 2 heads organic cabbage to make sauerkraut. Cabbage looked good & I was glad to find organic. When I cut into the head before washing I noticed black dirt all through the cabbage. I removed a lot of outer leaves & don't have much left. Have you ever had this problem? In all the years of working with cabbage I don't remember dirt anywhere but maybe on top outer leaf. I'm soaking what is left in white vinegar water. Should I throw it all away or use what I've washed? Thanks
alise

Re: dirty cabbage

Postby irie1029 on Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:12 am

Yes I have had that "crud" on several heads over the years. I actually think it is a mold of sorts. I just wipe it off and use it. If it is too heavy and too spread out I cut around it. I never soak in vinegar or any soap and kraut comes out just fine.
irie1029

Re: dirty cabbage

Postby alise on Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:21 pm

Thanks irie, I never did more than take off outer leaves & rinse in water before covid 19. When I started I was using raw cabbage for coleslaw a lot & read somewhere that vinegar helped kill germs. I doubt that vinegar would kill a virus. We never washed cabbage when I grew up. Thanks again!
alise

Return to Vegetable Ferments