Coagulation of oats milk?

Sourdough, porridges, pre-soaking, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Coagulation of oats milk?

Postby Laurent on Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:47 am

Hello,

I've done oats milk today for the first time in my life. It is quite easy but the fact that oats milk is rather low in protein (when compared with cow milk) is a problem for me. So I would like to be able to extract protein from oats milk. I know this is possible (google "oats protein concentrate" for example) but I couldn't find any info about how to do it at home.
So I tried to boil the oats milk along with some vinegar. It works very well with cow milk but not with oats milk, as it turned out. I believe this is because of starch.

So I thought maybe protein coagulation could happen if I had the right enzymes, bacteria or maybe mold. But I had no idea what to do. So since I've been reading this website for some time, I put some miso in my oats milk! You can look at what happened after just a few minutes (see attachment).

There are two phases, both very liquid.

Now I turn to the very knowledgeable people who hang around here. Please tell me what is going on, what are those two phases, and is there any way I can produce oats protein coagulate (or concentrate) with miso?

Thank you, and please forgive my poor english.
Attachments
P1040414.JPG
P1040414.JPG (187.03 KiB) Viewed 2329 times
Laurent

Return to Grain Ferments