the science of Keckek el Fouqara

Sourdough, porridges, pre-soaking, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

the science of Keckek el Fouqara

Postby vegankitchenlab on Thu May 21, 2015 1:18 pm

Hello there!

Yesterday I started my first batch of Keckek el Fouqara. Keckek el Fouqara is no more than bulgur mixed with cold water, fermented for two weeks and then stored in olive oil for some months. This is such a simple ferment and I'm curious of the science behind it. Unfortunately there is very little information about this particular ferment or about fermenting bulgur.

I'm mainly wondering what type of bacteria are involved here. Bulgur is a product made from durum wheat and my researches showed that during it's production the wheat is cooked at temperatures close to 100°C. Shouldn't this kill all the bacteria and leave nothing to start a wild fermentation? Is it likely that the fermenting bacteria are mainly from the surrounding air?

Even if you've never made Keckek el Fouqara, do you have any clue what might be going on there and why?
vegankitchenlab

Re: the science of Keckek el Fouqara

Postby Fatima on Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:37 pm

Cooked rice is used in fermentation and I've managed it without a starter. It seems that there are spore-forming lactic acid bacteria and therefore the spores not being killed by heat remain in the grains (whether rice or wheat or other), see https://link.springer.com/chapter/10.10 ... -5817-0_11
Fatima

Return to Grain Ferments