teff sourdough question

Sourdough, porridges, pre-soaking, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

teff sourdough question

Postby Aliyanna on Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:58 am

I was wondering why teff sourdough turns a grayish purple when exposed to air. I usually use a fido jar but if I leave it out to make the bread....or not fill the jar enough....or use it down...I get a purplish color. Doesn't smell or taste much different...does get sour pretty fast...and can get pretty strong smelling.
Aliyanna

Re: teff sourdough question

Postby Aliyanna on Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:41 pm

I started adding other grains, like millet, rice, sorghum and oats...and just used a cup of starter from the last batch. I usually add 3 cups of all the grains, 1 cup of oil and 1 cup sweetner...usually agave or coconut sugar but have used honey. Let sit in a warm area over nite...usually my oven. The next evening, I add a can of coconut milk and seasonings and water if necessary and we bake it. It comes out like a super good sourdough flat bread.

What I am noticing is that the purple color comes in storage....like it might be the hooch. I am wondering if it might be iron in it? I notice it happening when I use a fido jar and remove some and it sets for a couple days.
Aliyanna

Postby bravebird on Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:09 pm

where do you get your supply of teff and how much does it cost?
bravebird

Postby Aliyanna on Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:36 am

https://www.azurestandard.com/shop/product/792//
This is where I get mine and it is just about $45 for a 25 lb bag...it comes in the grain or flour....dark or light. It is a great grain...so full of nutrition.
Aliyanna

Postby MarkR on Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:05 pm

I've fermented teff for injera bread. I've never seen it turn purple. Of course, I always use my nose to judge. If it smells good, then the color doesn't matter. The purple liquid is probably hooch as another poster mentioned.
MarkR

Return to Grain Ferments