Dodgy Cross-Post for Kvass

Sourdough, porridges, pre-soaking, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Dodgy Cross-Post for Kvass

Postby makekvass on Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:06 pm

Hey, I'm sorry to cross post this (I tried it in homebrew, but then saw you guys). I know its unethical but I'm panicking.

I'm trying to get some kvass going, following a russian recipe. My method was to bake up a loaf of rye bread, then slice it thin and carmelize in the oven.
I brought three quarts of water to a boil, then added some caraway and mint to make a thin tea, which I then poured over the carmelized bread, turning it into kind of like a mush.

When it had sat out for a bit and cooled down, I added about a quart of mead must that I had just laid down about a week ago, so yeast and honey-water; the mead wasn't in the original recipe but I thought the sugar syrup/alcohol would safety-things up a little (its my first try at kvass).

Now that it's together (probably too late) I started wondering about the process I just mindlessly trotted through, specifically the egg content of the bread?

I've brewed quite a bit but I've never laid down anything with animal protein in it... Whatever egg content was in the bread has been baked, carmelized, boiled and packed in honey solution now, but the idea of leaving it on a shelf for six months (my plan for the mead) has me a little worried, I was hoping there might be some expert brewers here with some knowledge of other fermentation techniques, let me know if this recipe is seriously unsafe? I've seen these century eggs that are preserved in alkaline solutions, has me wondering if an acidic environment might not work out? Or whether there might be other types of fermentation taking place (malo-lactic, or something weirder), and if there are any warning signs to watch for)
Anyways, thanks for reading all this, I'd really be stoked to get some good advice.
makekvass

Re: Dodgy Cross-Post for Kvass

Postby laripu on Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:34 pm

When you make regular beer, the barley malt has protein. Wheat beers have even more. The protein contributes to the nice head on a beer, to how long it lasts.

On a chemical level, the protein from egg in your bread isn't much different than any other protein. It will serve as a nutrient for the yeast and/or any wild bacteria present in the brew.

Basically: Don't worry! If anything is going to go wrong, it will be for a different reason, not because of egg in the bread.

Enjoy your kvass!
Dort wo man Bücher verbrennt, verbrennt man auch am Ende Menschen. - Heinrich Heine.
laripu

Return to Grain Ferments