Food Activism

Everything else!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Food Activism

Postby earthstanding on Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:24 pm

Since most of us are familiar with Sandor's work, we know that the "revolution will not be microwaved." It is for that reason that I wonder if anyone in this forum is involved in any sort of food activism.

I recently started teaching my local community about the benefits of fermenting vegetables by making a pamphlet and a display at a table set up at my Co-Op's open house. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas like this (or not at all like this) to raise public awareness about fermentation, organic foods, and the like.

ES.
earthstanding

Re: Food Activism

Postby Tim Hall on Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:59 pm

Give a little workshop on what you're good at. Sauerkraut and kimchi require only minimal investment in ingredients and supplies, and are easy to prepare. Would be fun hands-on learning.

Hold a kimchi contest.

Teach your neighbors or friends a skill: My neighbor got into homebrewing and kimchi-making after I showed him how. He now brews 25+ gallon batches of beer at a time, and his wife is now selling kimchi and kombucha out of their house.

I'm about to experiment with raw-milk cheesemaking for the first time, and plan to make it a group event.
Tim Hall
Long-Lost Keeper of the Keys

Return to Miscellaneous