Pickled Orange marmelade - can I wait long enough to try it?

Everything else!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Pickled Orange marmelade - can I wait long enough to try it?

Postby AlexandraPchb on Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:05 pm

Hello again,
I wanted to post about my orange marmelade (I followed the recipe this time, no forgetting the salt like in the carrots) from my fermenting book.
I put Seville oranges (they are still around in the UK presently) , sugar, salt, beet kvass as a starter (as my kefir wasn't ripening fast enough to borrow some of its whey) and a stick of cinnamon.
I also left the seeds of the oranges, in a muslin bag, as they keep those in traditional recipes and I thought there might be some goodness in it and as far as I know they aren't bactericids unlike grapefruit seeds.
I had to open the pot a day later as everything was floating upstairs and oranges weren't in the brine - I wanted to add a very heavy, boiled and sewn piece of fabric (linen) to keep the oranges from floating (the fabric, being heavy and pliable, fits in the narrow neck pot very well and keeps the floaters down) ; well, I was AMAZED at how THICK and DELICIOUS looking the sirup was! It was barely water when I put it in before, and now it was as thick as custard! (I did have a quick taste and the salt doesn't bother the sweetened orange at all, it is very delicious) ... but... I am meant to wait at least another 3 days, then leave it in the fridge for...another week. Can I wait that long? Certainly not. But then, I read posts from the moderators who wisely tell us that they wait 3/4 weeks before opening and eating a fermented food...
Should I, perhaps, learn about patience? Or perhaps... I could get some more oranges, and start again, so I could keep this batch for 3 weeks and start eating the other...
AlexandraPchb

Re: Pickled Orange marmelade - can I wait long enough to try

Postby AlexandraPchb on Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:12 am

Actually, I might have exagerated and the sirup isn't as thick as I remembered it the first time I opened it, so I might add some Chia seeds in it to soak up some of the water, might give the bacteria something to chew on with a lot of minerals. Still tastes delicious though, despite a white sort of "thing" having grown on the top, just like on the Beetroot ferment which is meant to be harmless but might give a funny taste. Don;t know why that grew there. The sugar and salt should have prevented it? Oh well, only 2 weeks to wait now...
AlexandraPchb

Return to Miscellaneous