Air Lock question

Everything else!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Air Lock question

Postby SolusUmbra on Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:12 am

I have made a homemade air lock with an old pill bottle, air hose, lid and hot glue. On its own it holds water and I can't find any leaks. When I use it on the jar it started to suck the brine out, so I gave it more head space and now its draining the water into the jar. I'm not sure what to try next, and buying new air locks is not a possibility at the moment.
SolusUmbra

Re: Air Lock question

Postby Christopher Weeks on Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:19 am

Maybe post a picture of your setup?
Christopher Weeks
Nuka Ninja

Postby SolusUmbra on Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:13 pm

How do I post an image?
SolusUmbra

Postby Christopher Weeks on Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:29 am

The image has to be hosted on the net somewhere and then you can click the "Img" button (just above where you write your post) that inserts the bbcode: [ img][ /img] (without the spaces) and then you can insert the URL between the opening and closing image tags.

I can show you last night's cucumber kimchi like this (and if you click the 'quote' button, you can see the live image tag in action):

Christopher Weeks
Nuka Ninja

Postby SolusUmbra on Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:12 pm

The image didn't show up all I see was a blank box. But I'll give it a try.

and in case that doesn't work I'll put this link here to.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/93pabx5h15bv8k9/File%20Jan%2030%2C%2012%2024%2045%20PM.jpeg?dl=0
SolusUmbra

Postby Christopher Weeks on Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:16 am

In this case, I followed your link and in my browser, right clicked the image to get the image's URL and then used that:

Though, at least in my Chrome browser, I'm only seeing half of these images and that's a new development and I'm not sure what software to blame -- probably phpbb.
Christopher Weeks
Nuka Ninja

Postby Christopher Weeks on Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:21 am

Maybe try to replicate the style of airlock in this image, by allowing the hose in the bottle to point straight up, but covering it with a downward facing vessel sized so that it can't lift off the tube:

https://sc01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB17.gpRVXX ... XFXXXz.jpg
Christopher Weeks
Nuka Ninja

Postby SolusUmbra on Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:29 pm

I though about trying something like that but I can’t think of what I could use to cover the hose with. Open to ideas.

Also just a small update I think I have 2 ideas what might of caused it. Using a slightly warm brine in the jar and bending the hose so it’s more up and down instead of having the little straight part in between bends. My small batch of pickles I made sure the brine was room temperature and had rebent the hose and had nothing drain or come up into the air lock so far. Knock on wood.
SolusUmbra

Postby Christopher Weeks on Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:34 am

Ha! When posting, you can also upload an image by clicking 'Upload attachment' below the area where you write your post. I think that's the more common approach around here. (Off-topic, but I wanted to correct myself upthread.)
Christopher Weeks
Nuka Ninja

Return to Miscellaneous