Fermenting Raw Meat - Preventing Yeast

Everything else!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Fermenting Raw Meat - Preventing Yeast

Postby JeromesDream on Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:07 pm

Hey everyone,

I am fermenting organic raw veal liver which I know sounds dangerous. However, I have done it before and it was very succesful, I just can't seem to recreate the situation.

Every time I make my ferment, which is raw veal liver cut up in small pieces in a jar, it seems to grow yeast on the surface and it doesn't have a good effect on me when I eat it. I suffer from candida and I am very intolerant to all yeasty things.

I read some info about fermenting, and came to the conclusion that I probably want a lactic acid bacterial fermentation. This does seem plausible considering that my succesful batch was really sour when I ate it.
The problem is getting the lactic acid bacteria to outcompete the yeast. Would this be doable with a simple probiotic as a starter culture? One I could just order on amazon? Could someone please help, I am really desperate when it comes to making this probiotic. It works wonders for me.
JeromesDream

Re: Fermenting Raw Meat - Preventing Yeast

Postby irie1029 on Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:23 am

My neighbor does fresh oysters and shrimp in his kimchi... My guess is it would work in kraut as well. So did a little google regarding your question and yes folks do use fermentation juice to ferment liver. I would incorporate early in the fermentation process.
irie1029

Postby JeromesDream on Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:39 am

irie1029 wrote:My neighbor does fresh oysters and shrimp in his kimchi... My guess is it would work in kraut as well. So did a little google regarding your question and yes folks do use fermentation juice to ferment liver. I would incorporate early in the fermentation process.

You mean using a brine right? because I was trying to avoid salt or anything like that. Or do you mean something else with fermentation juice?
JeromesDream

Postby Christopher Weeks on Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:08 pm

I don't know enough microbiology. It looks like common LAB will metabolize lipids and amino acids under some situations, but they don't seem to produce lactic acid. They need to metabolize carbohydrates to do that, and there aren't any in liver. So I don't really know what you've had going on in the past.

Also, I think of myself as pretty adventurous with my food experiments, but what you're doing makes me nervous. I'm super-interested to read more if you figure it out!
Christopher Weeks
Nuka Ninja

Postby irie1029 on Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:30 pm

https://www.reddit.com/r/Paleo/comments ... _liver_n1/

I cannot even think about trying this.
irie1029

Return to Miscellaneous