natural anti-septic? GSE?

Everything else!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Re: natural anti-septic? GSE?

Postby Tim Hall on Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:56 am

It's funny how in the video turmeric is described as being "used primarily to give food color." Yes it has intense color, and will stain your hands and clothes a sort of chartreuse color, but this isn't the way I understand turmeric at all.

To me it's at least as much a flavor and aroma, and the flavor is a little different when using it fresh or dried. The same is true for ginger - taste some fresh ginger compared to dried ginger. The fresh ginger will be 'brighter' and more citrusy, while dried ginger is hotter and more peppery. In some traditional medicine these things might even be prescribed differently, fresh or dried, for a specific use.

But to me these are also special ingredients that are just as much medicines as they are foods. Galangal (Thai ginger) is another edible rhizome in this family of plants. Also if you can get fresh rhizomes, all of these make interesting potted plants, but I've never had luck over-wintering them.
Tim Hall
Long-Lost Keeper of the Keys

Postby Christopher Weeks on Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:49 pm

Oh, yeah, I was thinking of cleaning solutions too. (For which I mostly use water or vinegar.)

When I'm feeling low, I make sure to eat blueberries, oranges and kimchi and I add cayenne or garlic-chili paste to everything that's even vaguely appropriate. (Cayenne is great in blueberry smoothies, for instance!)
Christopher Weeks
Nuka Ninja

Postby Tim Hall on Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:13 pm

Christopher Weeks wrote:I add cayenne or garlic-chili paste to everything that's even vaguely appropriate
There are foods this is not appropriate with?!?! Now I'm embarrassed to eat in public.
Tim Hall
Long-Lost Keeper of the Keys

Postby Ido on Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:06 am

I like you guys :) , thanks
Ido

Postby happy on Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:41 pm

I am reading The Fourfold Path to Healing by Thomas Cowan M.D. which is a companion book to the cookbook Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon. NT if you are not familiar with it has LOTS of fermentations of many varieties and is based on the research of Dr, Weston A. Price into why people are healthy.
So...it's not a quick fix but FPH does lay out very succinctly at the end of chapters how to address issues such as yours.
best, d
happy

Previous

Return to Miscellaneous