SCOBY in 2nd ferment

Kombucha, sodas, water kefir, rejuvelac, kvass, and more...

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

SCOBY in 2nd ferment

Postby NotTeri on Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:36 pm

I usually let my finished Kombucha sit on the counter in 16-oz jars for a second fermentation, sometimes flavored, and I've noticed that each jar usually develops a slimy blob that I see when I pour it into a glass. Am I correct in assuming that this is just a SCOBY developing and that it's safe to drink? At first I strained each glass because the blob of snot was unappealing, but if I'm drinking KT for the health benefits, I should just get used to the slime factor right? Anyone else have this going on? Do you drink it??
NotTeri

Re: SCOBY in 2nd ferment

Postby Christopher Weeks on Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:53 am

That happens in mine. I assume the same thing you do about it -- a fetal SCOBY. I, uh, can't bring myself to just drink it. In my experience, they usually stay near the bottom and so I just drink down to the dregs and pour the last bit out. I have accidentally consumed the snotty blobs with no ill effect, but I just can't get over the texture to do it on purpose. :-)
Christopher Weeks
Nuka Ninja

Postby NotTeri on Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:47 am

Thanks Chris, I think you're the only person who replies to posts on this forum.
Come On People! How can we learn from each other if no one has anything to say? I'm just surprised that 14 people read my post but only one had an opinion to share.
NotTeri

Postby Tibor on Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:38 am

Well NotTeri, I don't agree. You asked kind of a technical question and 14 people read your post(including me)and maybe we viewed your post to learn something. I would hope people don't respond if they don't know stuff. I make Kombucha and I filter out the slime but I don't know what makes it happen.
I follow this forum to learn,and to get inspired and to inspire others in making stuff. I have responded to many questions and comments on subjects I know something about, and also to help the moderators not have to answer all of them.
Last week there was a post on fermenting mustard. I promptly went out and got mustard seed and started an experiment since I love mustard. We'll see how it comes out and I will report on it's outcome. I'm also real excited about the Kolrabi Kimchi I started making. I'm going to make a few batches before I chime in with a recipe. Anyway, I've learned a lot on this forum and the more I learn, the more I realize I don't know. Also NotTeri, there is tons to learn from the subject matter from posts from years ago. Glad you have joined us. Got any good recipes?
Tibor

Postby NotTeri on Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:15 pm

Okay, fair enough. I was thinking 'this doesn't happen in mine' would be a better response than no response.
I flavor with mango and berries since that's what I still have in my freezer from summer. I also enjoy it plain so I don't have recipes yet.
Mustard? Interesting. I tried to make wine vinegar a few years back, but it such a slow process I didn't like the wait. I prefer to see results more quickly, much like getting replies to posts.. HA!
NotTeri

Postby noonm on Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:27 pm

My guess is its a new SCOBY forming. My understanding is that the SCOBY is the result of cellulose production by the yeast and bacteria. As there exists yeast and bacteria in the liquid, they should still be going about the process of producing cellulose even after the main SCOBY is removed (provided there is still sugar/ethanol to consume and the conditions are not too acidic). Here's a nice review article I've found that dives into the technical details: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1 ... 12073/full

It doesn't seem harmful to drink, but I also wouldn't force yourself to do so for any health reason, unless you want a little extra fiber and protein in your diet.
noonm

Return to Tonic Beverage Ferments