Ginger Bug Question

Kombucha, sodas, water kefir, rejuvelac, kvass, and more...

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Ginger Bug Question

Postby GingerBugger on Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:35 pm

My ginger bug was successful and I used it to make some pretty awesome gingerale! It's now been resting in the fridge for a week and has formed a solid, white ring around the bottom of the jar. My instinct is that it's just some extra sugar that formed a crust, but could this be mold? Or does mold only form on top? I tried stirring it up but it's stuck and not part of the natural sediment. I should mention I'm a total newbie. Thanks in advance for your insight!!
GingerBugger

Re: Ginger Bug Question

Postby Christopher Weeks on Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:14 am

Describe what you've got and what you've done a little better.

Did you grow a ginger bug, use some (but not all) of it to ferment your soda? If so, what did you do with the remaining bug? What all have you been adding to the bug? And just to be sure, the white ring is inside the jar, right?

I doubt very much that it's mold. But when you write that it's "stuck" I assume you mean hard and stationary, for which my experiences do not prepare me -- it's kind of confusing.
Christopher Weeks
Nuka Ninja

Postby GingerBugger on Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:44 pm

Yes, I started a bug using white sugar, ginger and water. And fed daily w roughly 1 tbsp ginger and 1 tbsp sugar. Had bubbles and frothy top after about a week. Used 1/2 cup to make soda, replaced w water, 1 tbsp ginger and 1 tbsp sugar then put to rest in sealed mason jar in fridge. I forgot about it for about a week. When I pulled it out to feed I noticed a stationary, white ring around the bottom. I can only see it when I lift the jar and peer through the bottom. I tried stirring w a spoon to see if it incorporated into the mix, which it didn't. I tried scraping a sample up but couldn't get it up. I'm thinking its excess sugar that didn't dissolve and formed a crust. Am I feeding it too much sugar. It is now on my counter covered w cheesecloth looking nice and bubbly.
GingerBugger

Postby khoomeizhi on Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:56 am

can't tell if that's what the stuff on the bottom is, but that does seem like a lot of sugar to me. with my bugs it's usually more ginger and 2 tsp sugar every two days (but stirring/aerating well daily).

...but if it works, it works.
khoomeizhi

Postby Tibor on Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:25 am

What is the difference in taste between a ginger bug soda and a ginger brew made with water kefir ?
Tibor

Postby Christopher Weeks on Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:06 am

It's been a little while, but a spoonful of sugar and a spoonful of shredded ginger each day when I remember seems like what I've done -- so it doesn't sound like excessive sugare to me.

I'd transfer the bug into a different jar and try harder to get some of the white ring out. Not because I think there's a problem, just because I'm curious. :-)

I'm surprised sugar behaves that way -- I'd expect it to crystallize at the surface, not the bottom, but sugar does sound like a best guess.

But you should pry some out of there and taste it. And let us know, of course!
Christopher Weeks
Nuka Ninja

Return to Tonic Beverage Ferments