rhubarb soda (lactobacillus) ferment

Kombucha, sodas, water kefir, rejuvelac, kvass, and more...

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

rhubarb soda (lactobacillus) ferment

Postby dabster on Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:05 am

Hi everyone,

A rhubarb soda I'm trying, which should take three days or so to ferment, has taken a week to do anything. It has just started to bubble (at the seven-day mark) but froth it had from the beginning has become slimy-looking and unappetising.

What do you think, should I chance it - wait a little longer and taste the stuff - or use it for the compost?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

dabster
dabster

Re: rhubarb soda (lactobacillus) ferment

Postby Christopher Weeks on Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:52 am

Is it open, sealed or air-locked? If it were at my house, even if I was suspecting it went bad, I'd sniff it and unless is smelled really foul, taste it before deciding to compost. Sometimes things look bad and taste good.
Christopher Weeks
Nuka Ninja

Postby dabster on Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:55 pm

Thanks, Christopher.

It is air-locked. It has a strong honey smell (which I'd hoped wouldn't be this pronounced) but not obviously "off". It's what seems to be growing on the surface that's been bothering me. I'll give it a taste.

I've tried to attach a pic. Let's see if it works. Not seeing anything that tells me I've succeeded.
dabster

Postby dabster on Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:59 pm

Tasted it. All is well - but sweet. The honey seems to have slowed the fermentation. But it's bubbling slowly and reassuringly as I type.
dabster

Postby Christopher Weeks on Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:32 am

When I have fermented honey-syrup for t'ej and melomel, I've had to stir (or better, shake) the heck out of it to get enough oxygen to the yeast so that they can overcome the antimicrobial properties of the honey.
Christopher Weeks
Nuka Ninja

Return to Tonic Beverage Ferments