Water kefir grains are not working? Or dying?

Kombucha, sodas, water kefir, rejuvelac, kvass, and more...

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Water kefir grains are not working? Or dying?

Postby Nina on Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:04 am

Hi,
I’m making water kefir. I got grains from friend, but the grains were in the refrigerator long time so might take in a while to activate it again she said.
So I started about two months ago, 1/4 grains and organic cane sugar, 1L spring water. After a while it seemed working again, I had nice carbonated drink. It produced more grains as well.
But suddenly water kefir became thick and syrupy and no matter what I add, there’s no carbonation when the second fermentation.
I thought it’s over-mineralised so I changed sugar and keep making water kefir.
Now it’s not thick and syrupy anymore but still no carbonation. I see a lots of bubbles when the first fermentation and producing more grains though.
I don’t know what I’m doing wrong or what happened to my grains...I wonder if they are dying?

Thanks
Nina

Re: Water kefir grains are not working? Or dying?

Postby dri on Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:22 pm

Well, If the grains are growing, it is not dying but you might have killed off some of the yeasts or the strains that drive carbonation. You might try adding some dried or fresh apricots, figs or raisins. Let the water kefir overferment a bit (say 48 to 72hr with no added sugar). The fruit will likely add some yeasts and bacteria that may help with carbonation, and the overfermentation will drive the ph down which will help change the balance. After the 48/72hrs, add a Tums (calcium carbonate, to reduce the ph), leaving in the fruit and give it overnight or another 24hrs to let it build the new balance of bacteria into the grains and then drain off the liquid. In the grains add sugar and water and return to normal fermenting.

You might also add a small amount of sugar to the drained liquid and do a second ferment.
dri

Postby Nina on Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:05 am

Thanks so much Dri!
I have only dried prune or dates, do you think it’s ok to use those instead of fruits that you recommend?
Nina

Postby onnaj on Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:18 am

Dates are also fine, we've used they a lot when making water kefir!
I prefer organic dates btw
onnaj

Postby Nina on Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:56 pm

Thank you!
I just started new batch with dried fruit.
I hope it works for my grains!
Nina

Postby onnaj on Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:34 am

Good luck!
onnaj

Return to Tonic Beverage Ferments