Beet Kvass

Kombucha, sodas, water kefir, rejuvelac, kvass, and more...

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Beet Kvass

Postby Deena on Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:10 am

I’ve been to a cultured veg class today which was very good
It’s given me more confidence to have a go at different combinations

The instructor gave us a sample of beet kvass which I was wondering would help me with never ending BP issues ?
I’ve looked on line for a recipe all I’ve found so far, say use water from
sauerkraut ,I don’t have any veg fermenting at this stage
Has anyone made it or have a recipe using a starter if that’s possible to, make it using a starter
Thanks in advance
Deena

Re: Beet Kvass

Postby irie1029 on Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:17 am

I never use starter just salt and water.

I do not use any of those goofy lids just gently tighten jar top so pressure can escape. Do not cut too small or get alcohol.

https://www.culturesforhealth.com/learn ... eet-kvass/
irie1029

Re: Beet Kvass

Postby Algoldor on Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:15 am

Hi there,
I've been doing beet kvass during my time in Three Stone Hearth Kitchen in Berkeley and we would be using the old culture every time to restart the fermentation, the fermentation cycle would be around one month if I remember correctly. As Irie 1029 mentions, you should be fine to start from the scratch just make sure that you salt concentration is sufficient and I would personally recommend also lower temperature of fermentation (it is lactic fermentation after all) of below 20 or if you can 15°C (lower temperature lower fermentation but generally better flavour), plus very importantly no access of air - you would get mold on the top and off flavours. For ferments like these vessels with floating lid are great or big wide mouth jars with an air lock installed on the top.
Anyway I hope it works for you, it is really nice tonic beverage which I did not have for years ...
Sincerely,
Frantisek
Algoldor

Return to Tonic Beverage Ferments