rejuvelac gluten-free

Kombucha, sodas, water kefir, rejuvelac, kvass, and more...

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

rejuvelac gluten-free

Postby sequoia on Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:03 pm

Hi all,

I have celiac and cannot eat anything containing gluten (wheat, barley and rye). I've tried sprouting other grains to make rejuvelac: rice, buckwheat, and oats, but each time the grains started to mold and never sprouted. I followed the instructions: soak overnight, then keep in a jar with good drainage (upside-down with a screen over the opening), rinsing a couple times a day. No sprouting, eventual molding. Every time. I wonder if this is a common problem with these particular grains, or if I was doing something wrong... does anyone have experience with this, or other non-gluten grains? Any particular favorites for making rejuvelac?

Thanks!
sequoia

Re: rejuvelac gluten-free

Postby juice on Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:15 pm

Ironically those 3 grains (rice, buckwheat, oats) are difficult to sprout, so you getting them to only grow mold is expected. It is easiest to just make rejuvelac with them without first sprouting them. BROWN rice (not white) needs special conditions like high sustained temperatures to sprout. Oats, bucckwheat, and rice are often processed to render them unsproutable. You can get unhulled, whole grained, unproccessed grains and sprout them. Oats and buckwheat are worth doing, but brown rice is more trouble than it is worth IMHO.

Just dump a bunch of (brown) rice into your jar and proceed to brew rejuvelac skipping the sprouting. I often do rice rejuvelac (actually have rice going all this month) and it is good.
juice

Postby juice on Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:17 pm

BTW, try amaranth. Easy to sprout, super nutritious, complete protein, no glutein. Oh, and tasty too!

Rob
juice

Postby Marcela on Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:26 pm

Try millet, is easy to sprout.
Marcela

Postby Antinéa on Sun May 23, 2010 9:20 am

bonjour :)
to make uncheese with almonds I'm trying to sprout millet and amaranth ...
how much sprouted must they be ? and, how much ? (sorry if the question has already been posted.)

I've read many things about making rejuvelac, and I thought I could never make some no one seemed to have tryed with gluten-free crops.
(my son and I are cœliacs, boy is highly sensitive, as oak and barley malt hurt him.

many thanks for talking about it !

by the way if my rice is only half whole round rice, do you think it could work ?

from France ...
Antinéa

Postby sequoia on Mon May 31, 2010 4:33 am

Bonjour Antinéa!

Where in France are you? I'm currently living in France and indeed it is hard to find food here being gluten intolerant. So much stuff is sweetened with wheat glucose, barley malt, and even levure chimique (baking powder) has wheat starch in it. That was a shock to discover!

I don't know about sprouting for your uncheese, but in terms of the rice for rejuvelac, I think it's probably better to have whole (brown) rice, but since it's not actually going to be sprouting in the normal sense of the word, using demi-complet will probably work okay.
sequoia

Postby Antinéa on Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:26 am

Hi Sequoia

I'm living close to disneyland paris resort :)
and yes it is absolutely difficult to find GF food

amaranth sprouted fine but the tissue under them molded
millet only melted and smelt terrible...

i was not patient enough for the rice...

I keep trying but I had to go on surgery last week so I had to interrupt my culinary experiments a bit.

I send you in private my mail adress if you want to exchange "off-line"
Antinéa

Gluten Free Rejuvelac- More Questions

Postby Tin on Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:51 am

Hi,
I also am gluten free and want to learn to make gluten free rejuvelac. I have read your posts, but wonder if any of you would be willing to give me the detailed instructions on how you do it using millet and/or amaranth.

The instructions that I have (intended for wheat and rye berries) say:
Day 1: soak 1/2 cup wheat berries and 1/2 cup rye berries in a 24 oz jar with a vented lid in 3 cups water
Day 2: Discard liquid, transfer berries to a nut bag and put in a bowl
Days 2-4: Rinse under cool water 3-5 times per day
Day 5: When they are sprouted (have tiny tails), rinse, and put in one gallon glass jar with lid, fill the jar completely with water and let sit overnight
Day 6: Strain and discard berries.

I just want to know what I should do differently with millet and amaranth. Is it the same quantities? Do I do it the same way? Does the rejuvelac have the same amazing properties? Thank you!

Tin
Tin

Postby Aliyanna on Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:08 pm

Sproutpeople.com have hulless oats that can be sprouted quite easily.
It is a special type of oat that grows without hulls.

Since we are gf/cf I, too would love a recipe to make rejuvalac.

A
Aliyanna

Postby Aliyanna on Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:28 pm

I did make gluten free rejuvalat.....I followed Dom's recipe and used
millet....I toss in different fruits....buzz em up after fermentation and a small bit of sweetner to taste and the kids love it!!!
hth
Aliyanna
Aliyanna

Return to Tonic Beverage Ferments