Brewing Kombucha with metal inside spigot

Kombucha, sodas, water kefir, rejuvelac, kvass, and more...

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Brewing Kombucha with metal inside spigot

Postby spiritualann on Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:28 pm

Hi
I'm new this site and had a question about metal inside the spigot.
I have been brewing since the summer, my scobys appear very thick and healthy, kombucha tasts great, my family love it.
I use 1 and 2 gallon jars that have a spigot, I noticed the inside of the spigot has plastic around and metal (not sure which type) on the inside, my son brought this to my attention an dit made me think and start to worry.
I googled it and found this site, I would appreciate any options from anyone who knows and advice on this, I don't have a problem wih plastic or metal but I don't know if the fermentation does anything to the brew.

Ann
spiritualann

Re: Brewing Kombucha with metal inside spigot

Postby spaceralph on Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:25 pm

The most important thing to do is determine what kind of metal it is.

If the metal is stainless steel then you should have nothing to worry about. Stainless is non-reactive, or barely reactive depending on the quality. If it is iron it probably wont hurt you, but it may impart a metalic taste to your brew, and it will eventually corrode to the point where your vessel leaks.

If the metal is aluminum then discontinue use immediately. Consuming aluminum is no good.
spaceralph

Re: Brewing Kombucha with metal inside spigot

Postby Zaphod9909 on Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:19 pm

Hello

I've been using a big beehive shaped 11litre jar I purchased at Costco a couple of months ago.

Box said stainless steel spigot, and so far SO GOOD.

No metally weird aftertaste, and SCOBY is growing away happily.
Zaphod9909

Return to Tonic Beverage Ferments