Can one make Unsoy Sauce?

Miso, tamari, tempeh, idli/dosa, natto, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Can one make Unsoy Sauce?

Postby Marilynx on Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:55 pm

I am anaphylactic when it comes to soy anything, and for some odd reason, I happen to like breathing, so I don't go near anything soy.

I also cannot tolerate any grains, so most of the soy sauce recipes I've encountered which mention using other beans are a problem because they typically contain wheat or rice or other starches.

I've run across at least one recipe for making an "Asian Sauce" with black beans, but the recipe obviously assumes you know what you're doing (steps are not at all clear to me, though I do yogurt and fermented veggies regularly).

The recipe I found clearly calls for wild fermentation, and I admit to being a little nervous about that because I live in the mold and mildew capitol of the southern US, and ghu alone knows what I might get.

It's obvious that making unsoy sauce is going to be a good 6-9 month project, if not longer, but I hate to go to all that work and then muck it up with the wrong kind of culture.

Can anyone point me to a detailed recipe, and/or suggest a suitable culture to add? The legumes I tolerate are white navy pea beans, lentils, lima beans, split peas (although I really don't like split peas) and black beans.

Thanks in advance.
Marilynx

Re: Can one make Unsoy Sauce?

Postby kefir_14 on Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:44 pm

Hi,

I have never made any legume ferments myself, but I can't see any reason why you couldn't make a bean (non-soy) sauce. I also think you could substitute the wild culture with one you buy.

My understanding is that a Japanese soy sauce called Tamari is brewed using soybeans and Koji culture (Barley or Rice inoculated with Aspergillus Oryzae) I know you can buy a dried Koji culture made using either Barley or Brown Rice which you could then use to ferment/brew a bean sauce. However you say you can not tolerate any grains - is this the case even when they are fermented?

This is a bit out of my league as I have never tried it - but maybe you can purchase Aspergillus Orzae and use something like buckwheat or another non-grain to inoculate, or maybe you can directly inoculate the beans with it. Also maybe their is another culture other than Koji which could be purchased which does not ferment on grains.

I stumbled across this recipe for Miso using buckwheat as the medium for inoculation:
http://nordicfoodlab.org/blog/2011/10/miso

Another snippet I read:
"The koji is typically grown on rice and is often available from Asian food markets in this form. It is also possible to purchase koji culture which can then be grown on to a medium such as rice, barley, other grains or legumes." http://permaculturenews.org/2012/02/04/making-miso/

I have heard of Tempeh made with other beans or nuts instead of soy and also Miso made with beans.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge and experience could chip in and help you out - in the meantime I hope I was of some help.

Cheers!
kefir_14

Postby laripu on Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:25 pm

Marilynx wrote:I live in the mold and mildew capitol of the southern US, and ghu alone knows what I might get.

I live in Tampa, it's hot and humid, and I was also worried about mold.

I've only done three wild vegetable ferments (but I've been doing beer, mead and wine for 23 years by sanitizing and using commercial yeasts... which I recommend).

For my three wild ferments I used a closed fermentation in a gallon jar with an airlock (as I would for brewing alcoholic drinks). I followed the advice of keeping all the vegetable matter under a brine, and I had no mold of any kind. They started at room temperature, and after a week I transferred them to a fridge at 65°F where my beer was fermenting. No lactobacillus infected the beer. No yeast infected the veggies. Airlocks all around provided fermentation apartheid. Image

This is my simple setup. It can easily be scaled up or down. Inside the gallon jar is a little jar filled with water to keep everything below the liquid. Next time I'll improve that with a weight. The lid of the small jar started to rust where it met the glass of the small jar. A clean glass weight will be better there.

Dort wo man Bücher verbrennt, verbrennt man auch am Ende Menschen. - Heinrich Heine.
laripu

Postby Pendecardiel on Wed May 02, 2018 8:28 pm

I found this recipe from someone on a diet that excludes grains and soy with some instructions on making a black bean sauce.
http://www.scdrecipe.com/recipes/-soup/ ... -scd-miso/
Pendecardiel

Postby bjdmytro on Sat May 05, 2018 11:14 am

I would use GEM cultures tamari starter and lentils. Lentils are fairly high in protein, but they can be tricky to culture using the tamari technique. Soybeans are easy in comparison. You don't want them to fall apart before or during the mold incubation. For this, you would need to rinse and soak them, and then lightly steam them. Even so, this can be tricky.

Rather than the japanese tamari technique, you could try a chinese or korean style of soy sauce, where you mash the beans, knead it with a little toasted flour (you could use some toasted flour that you can tolerate, such as toasted chickpea flour), form it into cakes, culture with aspergillus oryzae, dry, and then age in a salt brine for 6 months to a year (stirring weekly) before straining the soy sauce.

Another idea is using the technique used to make Braggs Liquid Aminos. Although I don't have the ratios, the beans are cooked and made into a slurry, mixed with hydrochloric acid and continually mixed in a temperature controlled environment, neutralized with baking soda, and pressed. When neutralized, the hydrochloric acid and backing soda form table salt, water, and carbon dioxide. https://www4.uwsp.edu/chemistry/cmlang/100expt5f05.pdf
NaHCO3 + HCl --> NaCl + H2O + CO2
bjdmytro

Return to Legume Ferments