New to all fermenting, have a ginger bug question!

Kombucha, sodas, water kefir, rejuvelac, kvass, and more...

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

New to all fermenting, have a ginger bug question!

Postby rosey on Tue May 26, 2015 11:19 pm

Reposting this from my introduction! *update* The ginger bug is two days old and is starting to bubble so I'm hoping that's a good sign and I won't have to start over :?: I added more ginger today but did not add any sugar due to me worrying that I added too much from the get go. Any advice is welcome!

I have been interested in fermentation for a while and am a big kombucha and sauerkraut fan. Tonight, I was looking at a recipe for a ginger ale and noticed that I would need a ginger bug to make the recipe. After finding a recipe for it, I went ahead to make it but accidently added way too much sugar. 1/4 cup sugar to about 2 tablespoons of ginger. Is this ruined or can it still ferment? I'm still learning the science behind it all. Thanks and happy to have joined the forum!
rosey

Re: New to all fermenting, have a ginger bug question!

Postby Christopher Weeks on Wed May 27, 2015 7:03 am

I think it's likely to be fine, and particularly since you're now seeing bubbles. My bugs that fail either never start bubbling (for whatever reason) or I get them going all healthy and happy and then just keep feeding them for a long time without using them for a brew, and they just...stop. But usually they're pretty easy to work with.
Christopher Weeks
Nuka Ninja

Return to Tonic Beverage Ferments