Which mother for beer vinegar

Mead, wine, beer, and any other form of alcoholic beverages, as well as vinegar.

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Which mother for beer vinegar

Postby SteveDass on Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:42 am

Hey folks

Im looking to make some beer vinegar and all the retailers i am going to are giving me different answers... Im confused now! I also read Jonathan Sawyers book but even that just says 'mother' ...which one!

I need your HELP please.

For beer vinegar do i use a kombucha, apple cider,red wine vinegar mother or some other mother (scoby) an acetobacter that develops in fermenting alcohol and converts the ethanol into acetic acid.

I'll be very grateful for your help

Cheers
Steve
SteveDass

Re: Which mother for beer vinegar

Postby Christopher Weeks on Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:54 am

I think you can just glug in a bit of live vinegar from any source -- I'd use apple cider vinegar because that's what I have, and set it aside. You can aerate with a stream of bubbles to speed it up, but that's optional.
Christopher Weeks
Nuka Ninja

Postby SteveDass on Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:12 am

Thanks for replying Christopher.

I have some of that unpasteurised Braggs stuff and will try that!

Do you think a cup full or 100ml in 3 pints of beer should be enough!

Cheers
Steve
SteveDass

Postby Christopher Weeks on Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:56 am

I don't know for sure, but I suspect a teaspoon would be enough as long as you were patient.
Christopher Weeks
Nuka Ninja

Postby kefir_14 on Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:24 pm

Did you end up trying this out?
How was it?

Thanks!
kefir_14

Postby RogerL on Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:50 pm

I've been fermenting vinegar for more than 30 years. You don't need a "mother". You want the liquid that comes with the mother.

Go to your nearest English pub and hopefully, there will be a bottle of malt vinegar on the table. These bottles are continually opened & closed and sometimes, left open. If there is floating material in the bottle, that is "mother", The liquid in the bottle, now contains the acetobacter bacteria. Take a bit of this liquid home and you now have a live working culture.

"Mother" is not recommended for the "static" process. It prevents efficient oxygen transfer to the liquid beneath it. I will be pleased to offer more of my process techniques. I teach the process.
RogerL

Return to Alcohol Ferments