My first try with fermenting natto was a success

Miso, tamari, tempeh, idli/dosa, natto, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

My first try with fermenting natto was a success

Postby yanton on Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:05 pm

My first time making natto and it worked perfectly, I'm so happy.
Let me tell you my easiest ever method:

The fermenter equipment is crucial, and in UK money it only cost new £25 ... nothing else. Here it is: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/263650353062 .... 'The Lakeland Multi Yogurt and Soft Cheese Maker'.

What is amazing about this unit is you can (a) set the hour times and have an hour countdown, and crucially (b) the temperature range to set the unit is broad at is 25 to 65 centigrade !!! That is a wide enough range for most legume and other ferments.

I set mine at 39C and it was ready in 24 hours exactly. I did not use the sieve insert but just put in a layer of cooked oganic soy beans with powder culture mixed in (2 small sachets, one in 80C hot water, other spread as powder over the beans and stirred in), and that's all, nothing else.

Natto is stringy goey and delicious, as it is, with no condiments, very mild flavour, no smells at all. Complete easy to assimilate protein (I am a vegan so appreciate a full protein source).

Next, want to repeat the process. If that goes as well, want to try with mixed legumes.

Then next want to try Koji ... rice first, then soy beans. Going to order the specific cultures (protease focus for soy, amylase focus for rice).

Then will give tempeh a try, have had repeat failures with tempeh.
yanton

Re: My first try with fermenting natto was a success

Postby yanton on Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:59 pm

PS: I did not de hull the soya beans, but I did lightly crush them, so the culture could get inside.
yanton

Postby cerbu on Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:27 am

good job, for natto is never needed to dehull any beans , try kidney beans and buckwheat , white beans & rye
cerbu

Postby yanton on Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:26 pm

Harvested batch 2 today, very nice.

New batch is natto mixed legumes, around 7 different kinds.
yanton

Postby Durgan on Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:41 am

yanton wrote:My first time making natto and it worked perfectly, I'm so happy.
Let me tell you my easiest ever method:

The fermenter equipment is crucial, and in UK money it only cost new £25 ... nothing else. Here it is: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/263650353062 .... 'The Lakeland Multi Yogurt and Soft Cheese Maker'.

What is amazing about this unit is you can (a) set the hour times and have an hour countdown, and crucially (b) the temperature range to set the unit is broad at is 25 to 65 centigrade !!! That is a wide enough range for most legume and other ferments.

I set mine at 39C and it was ready in 24 hours exactly. I did not use the sieve insert but just put in a layer of cooked oganic soy beans with powder culture mixed in (2 small sachets, one in 80C hot water, other spread as powder over the beans and stirred in), and that's all, nothing else.

Natto is stringy goey and delicious, as it is, with no condiments, very mild flavour, no smells at all. Complete easy to assimilate protein (I am a vegan so appreciate a full protein source).

Next, want to repeat the process. If that goes as well, want to try with mixed legumes.

Then next want to try Koji ... rice first, then soy beans. Going to order the specific cultures (protease focus for soy, amylase focus for rice).

Then will give tempeh a try, have had repeat failures with tempeh.

Cut the BS and post a series of meaningful pictures.

Durgan
Durgan
Zone 5 Brantford, ON, Canada
http://durgan.org/2011/
Durgan

Return to Legume Ferments