Request Hard Ginger Beer recipe

Polished recipes and procedures you want to share.

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Request Hard Ginger Beer recipe

Postby JennyRiordan on Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:30 pm

Hi all,
I have attempted to make hard ginger beer using a recipe from "Fermenting Food" by Adam Elabd. He doesn't ask for the addition of any yeast other than that from the ginger bug. I don't really know the reason for the failure but I would be interested to try a different recipe. Any help much appreciated. BTW I am quite new to fermentation.
JennyRiordan

Re: Request Hard Ginger Beer recipe

Postby Christopher Weeks on Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:12 am

How hard is it supposed to be? Also, maybe describe the failure you're experiencing in more detail? I don't have an exact recipe to offer you, but I've felt like, when I left my gingerbug sodas to age, they got into the 3-4% alcohol range, but I never treated them like I would a wine, where I was seeking alcohol.
Christopher Weeks
Nuka Ninja

Postby JennyRiordan on Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:37 pm

Just to clarify, I have an active ginger bug and have been making ginger beer (soda/soft drink) and wanted to give hard ginger beer (alcoholic) ginger beer a go. The recipe called for 2 litres water, 200 grams sugar, 2.5 cm piece of ginger root, juice of 1 lemon and 3 tablespoons ginger bug (strained). After boiling the water and the ginger for 30 min. and allowing to cool I then added it all together and put it in a 4 litre demijohn with an airlock. The recipe suggested that it should begin bubbling within 24 hours. It didn't so I added some more ginger bug and after a few days nothing happened, so I added some more and waited. Nothing. I cleaned my equipment with a liquid cleaner from the local brewing shop. I have googled recipes and most include either brewers yeast or champagne yeast. Any suggestions would be helpful. Many thanks.
JennyRiordan

Postby Christopher Weeks on Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:03 am

Huh. Sounds basically like what I'd do. Maybe your sugar is lighter than I'd normally use, but that shouldn't cause your problem. I've made informal country wines several times and occasionally I can't get a wild yeast to thrive, and I'll pitch a packet of champagne yeast, but that always feels like a failure.

If your ginger bug is thriving, it seems like that should adapt well to the sugar solution in your demijohn. Any chance you left disinfectant in the vessel after cleaning?
Christopher Weeks
Nuka Ninja

Postby JennyRiordan on Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:55 pm

Thanks for your reply. It may be a cleaning issue given that absolutely nothing happened. The sugar I use is white, would raw or less refined make any difference?
JennyRiordan

Postby Christopher Weeks on Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:25 pm

I doubt it. I mostly use turbinado sugar, but just because I like it better, not because of performance.
Christopher Weeks
Nuka Ninja

Postby JennyRiordan on Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:33 pm

OK thanks for your help. I will just keep trying and maybe add some brewers yeast.
JennyRiordan

Return to Shared Recipes