grow my own probiotic supplement?

Yogurt, Kefir, Clabbered Milk, Cheese, Whey, and more!

Moderator: Christopher Weeks

Re: grow my own probiotic supplement?

Postby joseph7099 on Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:00 pm

Thank you for your response!
joseph7099

Postby joseph7099 on Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:37 pm

Tim

I had another question, I know this may be a hair off topic but Im totally confused. I was looking for a probiotic supplement and theres a lot of positive reveiws on this product called dr ohhira's.

This is what they say:

"They isolated a lactic-acid bacteria (LAB) strain known as Enterococcus faecalis TH 10 in tempeh, a Malaysian soy product. This bacterium was carefully isolated and fermented over a five-year period, as a longer fermentation period was shown to enhance its microbe-killing abilities."

Ok how does a longer fementation enhance the species ability to defend or attack other bacteria? I suppose they are saying genes mutate over the time? But nonetheless how can it be specific genes to defend and attack?

Isn't it most likely just going to be the same bacteria independent of the ferementation time.

Is this just a sales pitch?

Anyway, let me know your thoughts, I'll know its, just what you think, again, thanks again.

Joseph
joseph7099

Postby Tim Hall on Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:42 am

I'm not sure exactly what they're talking about. Perhaps they isolated a particularly persistent strain, something that stays in the gut longer(?) I really wouldn't know if the claims have any merit, but it's worded oddly to me.

I don't know so much about bacterial culture, but I do know that yeasts can be manipulated and selected for traits that become fairly distinct within just a few generations. These bugs adapt and change very quickly to respond to their environment.
Tim Hall
Long-Lost Keeper of the Keys

Previous

Return to Dairy Ferments